La Trobe Student Association Inaugural Election 2021
The inaugural elections for the La Trobe Student Association (LTSA) were held online from 10am Monday 12th April until 2pm Friday 16th April (Melbourne time). All students are eligible to vote for the representatives on their campus’s Student Council, as well as the representatives on the International Student Council.
The election has now closed.
The final declaration of results is now available. The final declaration is made by the LTSA Board after reviewing the Returning Officer’s provisional declaration of results.
Full details of the counting will be available in the Returning Officer’s report.
For any other questions, please contact the Returning Officer.
Table of contents
- Regarding election-related emails
- Information and FAQs about voting
- Candidates’ forum
- Policy statements
- List of nominations
- Notice of election
- Positions available for election
- How to nominate
- How to vote
- Election timetable
- Important documents
- Contact information
Information and FAQs about voting
- Your ballot has been sent by email to your La Trobe University email address.
- Voting is open 10am Monday 12th April to 2pm Friday 16th April.
- This is your opportunity to choose who will lead the LTSA, represent your interest to La Trobe University and advocate for what you want.
- All students are eligible to vote for International Student Council; students at the Bendigo and Bundoora campuses are eligible to vote for the Student Councils for those respective campuses. (For other campuses: those Student Councils were elected unopposed.)
- More information about LTSA can be found on the LTSA website.
- The returning officer in charge of the election is Goldie Pergl of Above Quota Elections Pty Ltd, who may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Further questions are covered below, and you can contact the Returning Officer (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Who can I vote for?
Students at the Bendigo and Bundoora campuses can for the respective campuses. All students can vote for members of the International Student Council.
You can read candidate policy statements provided by candidates as part of their nominations. Additionally, candidates may produce their own publicity.
What if I don’t receive the email containing my ballot?
Ballots are being sent out on 10am Monday, but it is possible some of the emails in the bulk mailout will not arrive immediately. If you haven’t received your ballot by Tuesday, please contact the Returning Officer.
Why are there no ballots for Student Councils at campuses other than Bendigo and Bundoora?
There are Student Councils representing each La Trobe campus. For Albury-Wodonga, City, Mildura and Shepparton, there were enough spots on those campus Student Councils for everyone who submitted a valid nomination, so there is no need to hold an election—those people are elected automatically. Nominations were open from 19th Mar – 26 Mar and again from 29 Mar to 1 Apr.
Where can I found out more about LTSA?
Located on all six La Trobe University campuses, LTSA provide Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF) funded support services previously offered by the Bendigo Student Association, La Trobe Student Union, Mildura Student Association, Shepparton Student Association and Wodonga Student Association. Leveraging off valuable lessons learnt during COVID-19, LTSA will also be extending our support to those students studying in the virtual lecture halls of La Trobe University.
More information can be found on the LTSA website.
Who can I contact if I need help?
For election-related inquiries, please contact the returning officer.
Formal rulings by the Returning Officer in relation to the election:
- Ruling 1 (relating to mass emails)
A Candidates’ Forum, allowing each candidate to give their policy statement, and giving you an opportunity to ask questions, was held on Saturday 10th April.
These policy statements provided by candidates [PDF file] are now available, for contested positions. Note these policy statements have not been edited or checked for accuracy.
The policy statements will also be provided directly to voters on the ballot page.
List of nominations
A list of nominations, incorporating nominations received during the re-opened nominations period, is now available. The list is now in ballot paper order (for those Student Councils for which a ballot is needed).
Notice of election
You can read the formal notice of election in PDF format.
Positions for election
The election will fill positions on these LTSA Student Councils:
- Albury-Wodonga Student Council (9 to elect)
- Bendigo Student Council (9 to elect)
- Bundoora Student Council (16 to elect)
- City Student Council (9 to elect)
- Mildura Student Council (9 to elect)
- Shepparton Student Council (9 to elect)
- International Student Council (9 to elect)
Nomination information (how to be a candidate)
Nominations for this election have closed. Please contact the returning officer if you have any questions.
How to vote
Polling has now closed in this election.
Polling ran from 10am, Monday 12th April 2021 until 2pm, Friday 16th April 2021 (Melbourne time). You cannot vote outside of these times.
- Friday, 19th March — nominations open
- Friday, 26th March at 5pm — nominations close
- Monday, 29th March — nominations re-open for positions with fewer candidates than vacancies
- Thursday, 1st April at 5pm — re-opened nominations close
- Saturday, 10th April — Candidates’ Forum
- Monday, 12th April — voting links sent to students
- Monday, 12th April at 10am — voting opens
- Friday, 16th April at 2pm — voting closes
- Friday, 16th April — results expected to be announced in the afternoon
- LTSA Constitution
- LTSA Electoral Regulations
- Notice of election
- List of nominations
- Candidates’ policy statements
- Ruling (1) of the Returning Officer
- Final declaration of results
The returning officer in charge of the election is Goldie Pergl of Above Quota Elections Pty Ltd, who may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information about LTSA, visit the LTSA website.